Everyone loves a good banana muffin recipe. Some recipes swear by walnuts, others chocolate chips. I think they’re all delicious. Give me all the muffins! When I bake I like to find ways to incorporate healthy substitutions without sacrificing taste. If you’re skeptical… trust me, it can be done!
I gave these muffins a healthy flare by substituting:
- organic sprouted wheat flour for white flour (this brand To Your Health Flour Co. is one of my faves. So many organic varieties)
- avocado oil for canola oil/butter
- organic coconut sugar & applesauce for refined sugar
I also added organic peanut butter & vegan protein powder to make these muffins extra satisfying. They’re a great filling snack, or you can toast a couple in the morning for breakfast & spread some peanut butter on them (because nothing is better than warm, melty peanut butter).
For protein powders, I recommend using one you already have that you KNOW you like (some taste like crap let’s be real) or some of the following. I try to buy ones that have zero added sugar or other toxic ingredients I can’t pronounce, and that are made with organic plant based-protein. They are a little pricier, but you get what you pay for, and your health is priceless. In the past I purchased cheaper ones and it caused me so much digestive drama, it was awful.
- Amazing Grass Protein Superfood – the pure vanilla is great you can’t go wrong
- Smart Pressed Juice – 100% organic with hemp & pea protein
- SB Organics – mixed with probiotics, enzymes & amino acids
If you have a peanut allergy, feel free to substitute with you favorite nut butter. Almond, cashew and sunflower seed butter are amazing and go great with banana too!
This recipe is easy, simple and fast. The hardest part is waiting for the muffins to finish baking. They smell absolutely amazing when they’re in the oven, you might drool. If this recipe becomes your new favorite, try doubling it and freeze the leftovers so you have an easy go-to snack.
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Muffins
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg vegan substitute with flax or chia egg
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 scoops protein powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Sift the flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar together into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl beat the egg until frothy, then whisk in milk and avocado oil.
- Stir the milk mixture, mashed bananas, and peanut butter into the flour mixture. Continue mixing until ingredients are well combined. Texture should be lumpy to avoid over-mixing.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling each one about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown & cake tester comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in tin for 5 minutes until taking them out to further cool on a wire rack or devour immediately & enjoy!
Try this recipe?
Share with me on Instagram @emilysiero for a shout-out!
I’d love to hear what you think ❤️
0 comments on “Not Your Average Banana Muffin Recipe”